Autism Spectrum Disorder
School-aged children with ASD tend to have communication deficits, such as responding inappropriately in conversations, misreading nonverbal interactions, or having difficulty building friendships appropriate to their age. In addition, people with ASD may be overly dependent on routines, highly sensitive to changes in their environment, or intensely focused on inappropriate items.
SmartEdPad helps in the treatment of Autism by enhancing:
- Social interaction with a variety of social stories which engage older elementary and middle-school students.
- Verbal communication with apps that improve verbalization, expand vocabulary, advance linguistic development and improve sentence structure and complexity.
- Nonverbal communication by offering an AAC device with layered picture icons and a keyboard.
- Cognitive development with apps which improve reasoning, problem-solving and executive function skills.
- Language development with apps for vocabulary development, storytelling, and sequencing for young students.
Specific Learning Disability means a disorder in one or more of the basic psychological processes involved in understanding or in using language, spoken or written, that may manifest itself in an imperfect ability to listen, think, speak, read, write, spell, or to do mathematical calculations, including conditions such as perceptual disabilities, brain injury, minimal brain dysfunction, dyslexia, and developmental aphasia.
SmartEdPad assists student with learning disabilities in an engaging way by selecting apps for:
- Reading and phonics that are excellent tools to supplement the student's reading practice and improve progress.
- Math that provide a variety of additional practice items for students and improve skills.
- Writing that provide practice in written language skills.
Language Disorders are characterized by either difficulties in understanding (receptive) or expressing (expressive) language. Language disorders are seen in a wide variety of children: children who expand their vocabulary and word usage more slowly than others, children with genetic or birth defects affecting the neurological system, children with lower cognitive abilities, or children who suffered a head injury.
For students with Language Disorders, the SmartEdPad provides a variety of apps for developing
- Word usage
- Sentence structures
- Verbal grammar skills—including verb tenses
- Pragmatic (social) language skills.
Articulation Disorders are characterized by the omission, substitution or distortion of one or more speech sound(s). Articulation disorders may be a result of faulty learning, damage to the muscles or anatomical structures used to produce speech, or a neurological disease or brain damage. Speech-language pathologists may treat articulation disorders using a variety of techniques. For students with articulation disorders, the SmartEdPad apps provide tools for the practice of speech sounds in words, phrases and sentences.